Saturday, January 24, 2009

Birds, Words, Nerds, Cheese Curds...

Bolsa Chica Wetlands

Okay, so I've been reading The Princess Bride and Fezzik is getting into my head. It's silliness and fun, run, done, and I just can't help myself. So this post doesn't really have anything to do with words, nerds, or cheese curds (although I do like those things), but I will be talking about birds (which, for the record, I don't usually like.)

Want to talk about fish, invertebrates, plankton, or even algae? Sure, I'm down! But point out a bird to me, and you will most likely lose my interest. Yeah, it's no secret that I'm not a big fan of them (especially those darn pigeons that attack us during lunch.) There's a reason why I skipped ornithology class in college, but birds may be growing on me just an eensie, teensie, weensie bit. First, there are the birds featured in the "Jungles" episode of Planet Earth-- I admit it, those are beautiful and pretty awesome. And then we have a very entertaining Sulphur-crested Cockatoo at work. He talks a lot and is quite a character and makes me laugh every day. Birds have been growing on me enough that I actually enjoyed bird watching at the Bolsa Chica wetlands last week. I even learned how to identify two new birds (which is quite an accomplishment, since I once mistook a heron for a goose. Funny yet sad, I know.) Along with the bird watching, we took a nice little walk on the wetlands path and I also had a chance to play around with the D200 a bit.

Here's one of the birds I learned, the Snowy Egret:
Snowy Egret

And the other bird I learned, the Great Egret:
Great Egret

And although I don't really care for gulls, I thought this shot was cool--caught it right before he took flight:
Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment