Monday, January 30, 2006

You know you're getting old when...

...Grandpa gives you only FOUR (two $2 bills) dollars for the Lunar New Year! Although the new year is not ALL about getting those nice little red envelopes stuffed with money, it is definitely a big perk in the holiday celebrations. It has nothing to do with being greedy; I think we're all just kids-at-heart, wanting to peek into the red envelopes and see dollar bills there, day-dreaming about what new toy we can buy with it.

As you get older, the dollar amounts seem to get smaller and smaller, until one day (gasp!) you're expected to GIVE away envelopes, not RECEIVE them. *Whew* good thing that time hasn't come for me yet, but I'm getting signs that it's coming up pretty soon:
Sign #1: As mentioned earlier, gramps didn't give his usual twenty dollar bills. They were 2-without-the-0 dollar bills.
Sign #2: I got a lotto ticket in one envelope. No cash.
Sign #3: Everyone in my family keeps wishing me a happy new year and hoping that I find a husband soon (marriage=no more red envelopes for Jane).
Ah, well, I guess that's what happens when you grow up!

2 comments:

  1. happy birthday you monkey !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane this was great....I even read it to my mom...she laughed as well...It's been a while since I've read your blog....how refreshing this entry was! And...I feel your pain...whether I celebrate Lunar New Year or just..a regular day in the life of an aging Italian woman. ~Sara

    ReplyDelete