Monday, August 08, 2005

Tourist in my own backyard

I went to the downtown courthouses for jury duty last Wednesday, and lucky me, was put on a civil trial that will last until at least this Friday. Although it's quite boring--I have a short attention span and struggle to stay focused and awake when listening to witness after unexciting witness--it's actually not so bad. It is very interesting to see the whole court process and our justice system up close and personal, just seeing how it all works. The other plus side is that I'm in the heart of downtown LA, a place that I've grown up around the corner from but have never explored or visited much, so I'm enjoying seeing it through a tourist's eye.
Today, my lunch hour was spent at MOCA, the Museum of Contemporary Art, which is featuring an exhibition on artist Jean-Michel Basquiat. Being science-minded, art has, for the most part, been something very foreign to me. I can definitely appreciate something like Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel masterpiece, but have a hard time wrapping my brain around the more contemporary/modern/abstract stuff. It brings up the question, what is art? And who decides what is or isn't art? And who or what exactly is an artist?

1 comment:

  1. art is connecting with life.

    art is passion.

    art is about asking questions and trying to answer them.

    ;-)

    art really isn't as foreign as you think. art is about that internal monologue within yourself when you look at art. there's nothing to "get" -- it's already there. it's observation. good art makes me laugh! and cry!

    ReplyDelete