Thursday, July 06, 2006

And the word of the month is...

CHANGE
: to make different in some particular
: to make radically different
: to give a different position, course, or direction to
: to replace with another
: to make a shift from one to another
: to undergo transformation, transition, or substitution

CHANGE will be the theme in my life these next couple of months. I am taking all the pieces of my life, throwing them up in the air, and letting them fall where they may. I should be scared and overwhelmed and stressed, but am not so much, because I have faith everything will work itself out. The last time major changes happened (around graduation time) I had freaked out and shut down, but this time everything feels very different. I'm actually excited about what I've learned over the past couple of years, and excited about the direction I'm going in.

So, it's official--I put in my resignation three weeks ago, and tomorrow is my VERY LAST day at work. Quitting was not the most financially practical thing to do, but it was very good for my emotional and mental stability. I was just not cut out to do that kind of social work, because science and the environment is where my heart is. Although I wasn't very happy at my job, I'm so thankful for the experience--of doing something different, being exposed to people and situations that I would never have normally encountered, to be financially independent, and most importantly, discovering what I really care about and what direction I want to take my career in. I had always liked the saying "Do what you love, love what you do", and now realize just how important it is to do just that--life's short, why waste time being miserable doing something you don't like?

The other major change coming up is my living situation--or should I say, my lack of a living situation. Jake has accepted a teaching job up in Sacramento, and will be moving up there to be closer to his girlfriend. So, July will be my last month in this awesome apartment (I really did love it here!), and I'm not sure what I'm going to do or where I'm going to go come August. I figure, if worst comes to worst, I'll just put my stuff in storage and crash on friends' couches for a bit. But, I can't move from couch to couch for long, so hopefully something will work out quickly.

No real job, no money, no place to live. But you know what? I have friends and family and life is still good, so no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment