Sunday, August 24, 2008

Road Trip '08: Day 19

Sutter Creek, CA to Long Beach, CA
Miles driven today=402
Total miles driven= 3317



A drive on the Five through central California is pretty uneventful. It was such a shock to the system, after being surrounded by beautiful majestic trees, to be driving through this dramatically different scenery. I had gotten so used to seeing green everywhere, to having the shade of the trees and having the company of ferns and mosses, that it felt like a great personal loss not having them around anymore. The sun's pounding heat and the yellow landscape, flat and empty, made me ache for the lush fairy-land again. Oh, going home is so hard sometimes. I wish I could have continued this journey just a bit longer!

Today's drive was significantly shorter than yesterday's, which was nice. We finished listening to the book on CD that I had borrowed from the library, The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. I sometimes have a hard time listening to books, I would so much rather read them myself, but this one was good for our drive. We made it back in the early afternoon, about a 6 1/2 hour drive, and went home and relaxed before having to go to work tomorrow.

And that, folks, is the end of my Road Trip to the Pacific Northwest. Thanks for reading and keeping up with the journey, and stay tuned for the rest of the pictures to be posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment